Friday, September 16, 2011

Letter from a Disgruntled Follower

Dear God,

You’re kind of cramping my style. It used to be cool and fun to follow you. Now it’s costing me something. I wish you could understand. Every now and then:

  • It’d be nice to take offense when someone insults me instead of turning the other cheek and forgiving.
  • I wouldn’t mind enjoying some of the world’s pleasures instead of your peace, contentment, and joy.
  • That money that I give to you every week could be used for such good fun.
  • I could get so much more done if I didn’t have to take that day off that you claim is a gift.
  • Certainly it’d be nicer to live in a cave than a community.

But God, as soon as I say these things, I’m reminded that I’ve seen too much. My eyes have been opened to your beauty and power. I’ve been a witness to your transforming of hearts. I know you can do more with my life than I ever could on my own. I’ve experienced eternity in the here and now. I’ve lived in your abundant life.

You’ve ruined me.

Your ways have become my ways and your thoughts have become my thoughts. And every time the grass looks greener on the other side, that nagging question of Peter’s creeps in from the shadows of my mind, “Lord, to whom shall we go? For you have the words of eternal life, and we have come to believe that you are the Holy One of God!(John 6:68-69)

If you could please stop being so compelling, if just for one day you would cease to be so wonderful, my life would be mine again. Of course, since this is not the case, once again I will pick up my cross and I will stand for you today, reminded yet again that you are God and I am your blessed but unworthy servant that you have called to do greater things, by the power of your Spirit, than even your Son.

But seriously, thanks!

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sincerely,

Your at Times Disgruntled, yet Faithful, Empowered, and Transformed Follower

No comments:

Post a Comment